Months ago, at the Cambridge Hackspace, Udita made custom-fit shelving for her apartment. There must be some “Murphy’s” law for making shelving for a closet, because next thing we know she’s taking a job on the West Coast. She generously donated her tools to the CHS. THANK YOU UDITA!!! Here they are pictured
And here is the latest project she did on the West Coast. She says she misses us and I hope that new project trips “Murphy’s” law again and brings her back! Her tools will be waiting!
Last night Kurt tried out the Mankoti e180 3d printer. This was from his email:
I grabbed the prints this morning. The raft for that print really squeezed through the print bed so it took some time and effort getting it off print bed. you notice that hole on the bed needs to be cleaned out. I couldn’t find a heat gun to help with that. hum… now that I think of it, I probably could have warmed up the bed again to help get the print off the bed.
Attached are a couple of images of the pieces, you’ll notice that print lifted off the raft on one side it does seem to have affected the print I think it happened late enough in print that it didn’t cause a problem. the other little glitch is the shafts all have a slight offset in the, not sure what going on there. Also, the supports are difficult to remove, next time I would reduce the density of the supports if I used ABS.
overall I think the prints turned out well, minus the little offset on the post.
I’m learning a lot about the printer which I hope to post about soon. Bruce, Steve and Ed have given lots of useful advice. My goal is to have a, more or less, plug-n-play 3d printer that any hackspace member can rely on.
We used the laser cutter to create templates out of 1/8-inch MDF which can be used to pencil in cut lines for wood carving. The templates can be used over and over and help the woodworker visualize what they’re doing.
Mark used Adobe Illustrator to create the templates. Like Inkscape, we ran into some teething pains getting RDWorks to read the dimensions we wanted. We did this by setting the scale in AI to MM, before saving as DXF.
AI doesn’t have a native single-stroke font (Inkscape does!). So Mark just drew letters by hand and used them to etch each spoon for identification.
Yinette used the laser cutter at the Cambridge Hackspace to make her delicate art of roses. Here she is standing with her father and one of her works of art. Her art is currently on display at the Somerville Library.
She had a great turnout!
Thank you Yinette for showing the beautiful possibilities of what the laser cutter can do!